Error 80072efe is a common error that can occur during the update of Windows 7, 8 on a computer.
“windowsupdate_80072efe” intimates the connection of Windows with the Windows server was terminated due to an unknown reason.
There could be any change in Windows Firewall which may result in blocking the Microsoft Windows download URLs.
Cause of “windowsupdate_80072efe” Error:
Although there are many reasons for the “windowsupdate_80072efe” error, the most common ones are defined below;
- Some Antivirus software is blocking the Windows server download URLs.
- Unregistered system files can also cause “windowsupdate_80072efe” error.
- The database of Windows could not be connected or it got corrupted.
- BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) Service has not been set to automatically from windows services.
Before you start!
Most of the time Windows Update errors can occur when there is not a reliable connection with your computer.
So, you need to make sure that you have a good speed and reliable internet connection with your computer.
Simply, head over to fast.com and see the performance and speed of the internet on your computer.
Solutions to Fix “windowsupdate_80072efe” Error:
These are some of the which are much like to fix the “windowsupdate_80072efe” error, you can try these methods one by one to get out of this error.
- Disable Firewall
- Download KB2937636 Patch
- Reset Windows Local Group Policy
- Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Solution 1: Disable Firewall
In this method, we will show you how to turn off the firewall in Windows 7.
The firewall protects the users’ computers against spyware and malicious viruses across the web.
The firewall may at times restrict certain programs from accessing the Internet to work with any such program.
The user might have to disable the firewall to access the Windows Firewall.
- Click on the Start button and select Control Panel.
- Now change the layout of the Control Panel to find Windows Firewall easily.
- Select Windows Firewall.
- Now once you are in Windows Firewall, click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off at the left sidebar.
- Now check on Turn off Windows Firewall for both of the network i.e Home and Public.
Once you’re done click on the OK button, to exit the window you will see that both the networks will be marked in red warning that indicates the Windows Firewall is turned off.
Solution 2: Download KB2937636 Patch
Downloading the patch may resolve error code issues follow the procedure below;
- Go to https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3138612.
- Download the supported version of KB2937636 Patch from the Microsoft website.
Check out this: 3 Easiest Ways to Fix Windows Update error KB2267602
Solution 3: Reset Windows Local Group Policy
There could be a reason that these settings are preventing your Windows to upgrade to a newer version.
So, resetting the Windows Update services has solved this issue multiple times.
Follow the given procedure to get rid of the Windows update issue.
Win+Rto open Windows Run and type services.msc.
- Open Service.msc and find Background Intelligent Transfer service and change the startup type from Manual to Automatic.
- Now find Windows Update, and open it.
- Now change the startup type from Manual to Automatic.
3.1: Delete Software Distribution folder
After changing the startup types of both of the services mentioned above, we need to delete Software Distribution folder from the C drive of your computer.
- Go to ThisPC and open your C drive.
- Now Click on Windows folder in C drive.
- Locate the folder Software distribution.
- Open the folder and delete each file or press
cntrl + aand press
- Restart your computer machine.
After restarting your computer you need to retry the update, and if you still see a Windows Update 80072efe error, follow the other solutions to solve this issue.
Check out this: 5 Easiest ways to Fix “0x0 0x0” Error on your PC
Solution 4: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The Windows update troubleshooter is an essential tool to identify any errors which can occur while updating Windows.
This is one of the things that you can do if a Windows update gives you a problem, follow the steps below to fix the Windows update issue.
- Click on the Start button and go to the Control Panel.
- Select Troubleshooting from Control Panel.
- Now click on Fix Problems with Windows Update.
- Click Next to start the process.
- Restart your computer and retry Windows Updates.
Error 80072efe is a common error that can occur during the update of Windows 7, 8 on a computer machine.
windowsupdate_80072efe intimates the connection of Windows with the Windows server was terminated due to an unknown reason.
There are multiple solutions that can help you to get rid of the Windows update issue in this article and if you could not figure out to fix this error then you can try a Clean Boot to your Windows.